skip to Main Content
Removing Conditions On Your Green Card Based On Marriage

Removing Conditions on Your Green Card Based on Marriage

If you apply for a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen (USC) or legal permanent resident (LPR), you will receive a “conditional green card,” if your marriage is less than two years old on the day your green card is approved. A conditional green card is valid for two years. Your status is conditional to ensure that your marriage is valid and you did not enter into the marriage merely to obtain U.S. permanent residency.

To remove these conditions and obtain permanent residency, you and your USC or LPR spouse must apply together by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence; and include proof of joint assets, income tax returns, and affidavits from at least two individuals attesting to the validity of your marriage.

Your I-751 petition must be filed before your conditional residency expires. At the earliest, you may submit your petition 90 days before your green card expires.

If you should have any questions or need more information about applying for your I-751 petition, please contact the Law Offices of Azita M. Mojarad, P.C. by e-mailing us at, or calling us at 312.641-0771.

Back To Top