In a previous article (Green Card Benefits), we discussed the main benefits of having a Green Card. In this article, we will discuss the obligations that come with having a Green Card.
What are my responsibilities as a Permanent Resident?
As a permanent resident, you are required to:
- Obey all laws of the United States, the states, and localities;
- File your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities;
- Support the democratic form of government;
- Register with the Selective Service, if you are a male age 18 through 25,.
- Report any change of address to USCIS within ten days of the move;
- Maintain permanent resident status by avoiding extended absences from the United States; and
- Obtain a reentry permit before leaving the country if you plan to remain outside the U.S. for more than one year.
If you have any questions about your responsibilities as a Green Card holder or any other immigration matter, contact our attorneys at the Law Offices of Azita M. Mojarad, P.C. Our experienced immigration attorneys can address your concerns and advise you of the proper course of action.