In a previous article, (Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Entry and Return of Foreign Nationals to the U.S.), we advised that the U.S. has banned the entry of all foreign nationals who have travelled to the following countries, within 14 days before their return to the U.S. (Note the list may change.):
Austria, Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK.
Three (3) Categories of Exceptions to the Entry Ban:
1. Firm Exceptions:
- – Individuals with lawful permanent resident (LPR) status;
- – Spouses, children (unmarried and under age 21), and siblings (unmarried and under age 21) of US citizens and LPRs; and
- – A parent or legal guardian of a US citizen or LPR child (unmarried and under age 21).
2. Possible Exceptions :
- – Students – Individuals who have “continuing attendance” form I-20s or are returning students; and
- – Professional athletes who complete in leagues, team leadership and their staff and dependents if they have a visa.
3. National Interest Exceptions:
Certain foreign nationals may apply and obtain a national interest exception if the US Department of State (US Embassies or Consulates) or the US Department of Homeland Security (Customs and Border Protection) determine their entry would be in the national interest. This category is a discretionary exception and as such is subjective in nature.
The following individuals may be suitable candidates to apply for this category:
- – Business Travelers
- – Mourners of death of immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister, child) in the U.S.
- – Medical Tourists and their traveling companions (relative or caregiver).
If you have any questions about travel to the U.S., the list of banned countries or any other immigration matter, contact our attorneys at the Law Offices of Azita M. Mojarad, P.C. Our experienced immigration attorneys can address your concerns and advise you of the proper course of action to take.