skip to Main Content
Adjustment Of Status – Married Couples

Adjustment of Status – Married Couples

In our past article, “Adjustment of Status”, we discussed that the immigration process of applying for legal permanent resident status or a green card without returning to your home country is referred to as an “adjustment of status”. In the same article, we discussed the general application form, including the interview process, and the factors that determine the decision on your application.

If you are applying for adjustment of status based on marriage to your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, you and your spouse will be required to attend an interview at your local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) office.

We also advised that the purpose of an adjustment of status interview is to have you answer questions under oath about the information you had provided on your application. In the case of a married couple, in addition to the foregoing, the interview is designed to detect and prevent fraud by ensuring that your marriage is real and not entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card.

The government takes marriage based interviews particularly seriously, so much so, that at times, the interview may take an interrogatory or hostile tone. It is therefore understandable that many married couples experience anxiety at the thought of attending such an interview. The solution to combating such anxiety is preparation. This means that it is imperative that you and your spouse attend the interview with all the required documents, and be prepared to respond to all the questions the immigration officer may ask. It is therefore prudent to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to guide you in preparing for the interview and even to accompany you to the interview.

To obtain additional information about the adjustment of status process or any other immigration matter, please contact the Law Offices of Azita M. Mojarad, P.C. by e-mailing us at, or by calling us at 312-641-0771, or by visiting our website at

Back To Top